JAMES 1:25 (NIV)“BUT WHOEVER LOOKS INTENTLY INTO THE PERFECT LAW THAT GIVES FREEDOM AND CONTINUES IN IT – NOT FORGETTING WHAT THEY HAVE HEARD BUT DOING IT – THEY WILL BE BLESSED IN WHAT THEY DO.”
We see the perfect law of freedom mentioned in “James 1:25”. James is referring to the gospel, that is, although it is called a law it is not strictly speaking a law comprised of requirements and enforced by sanctions. Rather it is a declaration of righteousness and salvation by Christ, an offer of peace and pardon by Him, and a free promise of eternal life through Him. This was a new way of thinking about both, “law” and “liberty” for the Jews.
The law was added because of transgressions, that is to show sins character of transgressions. In the early days, men had been sinning before Moses, but in the absence of the law, meaning, their sins were not put in their account. “Romans 5:13” (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law). You can say the law was a schoolteacher of what was sin. without the law they did not know their sins. You can say the law gave to sin the character of transgression, which is personal guilt.
The relation of Christ to the law was as He said in “Matthew 5:17” Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. The perfect liberty found in Christ fulfills the “perfect law” of the Old Testament because Christ was the only one who could. Those who come to Him in faith now have freedom from sin’s bondage and are able to obey God. It is only Christ alone who can set us free and give us true liberty. “So, if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. (John8:36).
Only Christ alone can set you free to enjoy liberty. Freedom is yours in Christ Jesus.
- In Jesus there is the freedom of salvation. – If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved. (Romans 10:9)
- In Jesus there is the freedom of “free will” – For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. (Romans 8:5-8)
- In Jesus there is the freedom of joyfulness – And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord; It shall rejoice in His salvation. (Psalms 35:9)
- In Jesus there is freedom of peace – Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)
- In Jesus there is freedom of life – He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. (1 John 5:12)
- In Jesus there is freedom to love – Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. (Roman 13:10) Jesus did not come to destroy the law but to fulfill the law. (Matthew 5:17) We love Him because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19) We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brethren abides in death. (1 John 3:14) Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. (1 John 3:15)
In Jesus you have freedom. Jesus purchased your freedom and my freedom on the Cross at Calvery. He purchased our freedom with His own precious blood. And today we have the powder to forgive our brothers, and enemies alike, we have the power to love others. Because of Jesus the Holy Spirit is imparted to us in day-to-day life. Therefore, the fruit of life is good. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23)
SO LET FREEDOM REIGN, LET FREEDOM IN OUR GOD REIGN, LET IT REIGN, LET IT REIGN: GOD REIGNS OVER THE NATIONS; GOD SITS ON HIS HOLY THRONE: (Psalms 47:8)
Jewels of Nuggets / Jewels for The Soul blog July 4, 2022, Praise the Lord!!!